Monday, January 28, 2013

Dr. James Newcomer, of TCU, from PA

How very lucky for me, one day in the Summer of 1967 to meet the Vice Chancellor of TCU for Academics, James C. Newcomer.  Read this morning that he was born in 1912 and died in August of 2012.  Yes, he lived to be 100 despite being in combat during World War II and being part of freeing Luxembourg.  He taught history, helped shape TCU and helped a lost young man through some trouble times and decisions in the 1960's.  Were it not for him, I would not be at this keyboard peeking away.  When I finally graduated in 1970 he said to me, "This will impact you for the rest of your life."  Dr. Newcomer was a good man, who counseled me, and I am pretty sure helped me when I all but was expelled from TCU for my part in "Spunk" magazine in 1969 and 1970.  We will not see his like again, soon, thank you Dr. Newcomer for your good heart and for making a difference in my life.

John Checki

No comments:

Post a Comment